Re: [opensuse] Re: Software IDE RAID versus hardware IDE RAID
  • From: "John Andersen" <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 23:36:23 -0700
On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 9:36 AM, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I can't say about now, but 6 months ago if you had a SATA drive fail
and attempted a hotswap, the new drive would be recognized and
assigned a new unique /dev/sdX name. Then you had to reconfigure your
raid setup to use the new disk.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that udev provided the
persistent naming of block devices and also provides a method to fix
this, and the
requirement to adjust one's raid setup was unfamiliarity with this
(new) feature.