Re: [opensuse] Re: Software IDE RAID versus hardware IDE RAID
  • From: Sam Clemens <clemens.sam1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 21:10:28 -0400
Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 10:41 AM, Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 15:41 +0200, Neil wrote:

> Question: I hear everyone speaking about the hotpugability of (good)
> hard raid controllers, but is it possible to hot plug a new SATA drive
> into a soft raid system? Are there motherboards that do not support
> hot plugging of SATA drives? For IDE it is probably impossible (IDE
> was not designed for it I belive) unless the hardware RAID controller
> would have special possibilities for it, I believe.
> Thanks for taking the time to think about it

Many SuperMicro systems support this. We do this with their systems with
4 SATA drive bays that we swap. Of course, we still need to do a
umount/mount. And, this can, if needed, be coordinated with udev so you
can specify extra stuff to happen when a disk is inserted.

Hot swap requires support in both the hardware and the driver. More
and more hotswap functionality in Linux with every kernel release. (I
have yet to get SATA hot swap to work in Windows which really
surprises me. I've randomly tried 2K/XP/2003 with our various
machines.)

Assuming you have hotswap support:

I can't say about now, but 6 months ago if you had a SATA drive fail
and attempted a hotswap, the new drive would be recognized and
assigned a new unique /dev/sdX name. Then you had to reconfigure your
raid setup to use the new disk. It was definitely not as clean as a
hardware raid controller.

One more reason to use volume labels instead of /dev/xdX names

I hope the kernel team has been working on that. Who knows maybe 11.0
will have a more automated raid rebuild capability.