Re: [opensuse] Novell Bugzilla - At it Again - Bugs Apparently Dismissed Without Sufficient Investigation
  • From: Anders Johansson <ajh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 18:01:16 +0100

Well, one thing that can happen is that interrupt vectors can be
clobbered by DMA activity, after which it can become impossible for
the processor to continue because it gets a fault trying to execute
from bad addresses or from valid addresses that contain gibberish
instructions.

Well, it's obviously possible for software to hang a CPU, that's not
in question.

But I still don't think it will trigger a machine check exception.
That's not the type of errors those are designed to alert about

How does the CPU respond to a fault that occurs when it's processing a
fault? Isn't that one of the things that machine-checks report?

I don't think so

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_Check_Exception

We're talking about exclusively real hardware problems

Anders
--
Madness takes its toll