Re: [opensuse] Novell Bugzilla - At it Again - Bugs Apparently Dismissed Without Sufficient Investigation
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 09:32:57 -0700

Anders

Well, your right as usual about my understanding. What I can't get
my mind around is the fact that the mce(s) go away as long as the
driver isn't loaded. I guess that's possible if the driver is calling
hardware that doesn't get called otherwise. However, it just seems
that if the mce(s) go away if the driver isn't loaded, the the driver
or the systems response to the driver was the problem and not
hardware.

The driver tells the hardware, among other things, where to transfer
data via DMA. Such transfers are done asynchronously and if the driver
gives bad addresses or transfer sizes to such a DMA-equipped card, then
that card's actions (carrying out the driver's instructions) can
cause "hardware" errors.

I'm ripping out the nvidia card and sticking a substitute in to
check.

--
David C. Rankin

Randall Schulz