Re: [opensuse] NAS backup solution for OpenSuSE users
  • From: Dave Howorth <dhoworth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 10:02:11 +0100
Zhang Weiwu wrote:
Dear all

We run a small office and is preparing to buy an NAS device to backup
every workstation. There are a lot of available NAS devices on the
market (most of them runs Linux) and many of them ship with backup
software that I can install on every workstation and automate the backup
process. Since I use OpenSuSE and I am in position to choose the
products, I must choose something that either offer backup software that
can be installed on Linux, or offer easy way to let me configure
OpenSuSE to backup to that thing.

Generally you don't need to install anything on a Linux client machine
in order to back it up. Backups are controlled from the backup server,
for security reasons among others. The backup server uses rsync to
connect to the client machines and Linux clients usually have rsync
installed already.

If you really mean to use a NAS device that just appears to the clients
as an extra disk and then run backup software on every client, I'd
suggest reconsidering.

There've been several threads on this list discussing backup software. I
see two in the past week.

Cheers, Dave