[opensuse] OpenSUSE 10.3 KDE and selecting the sound device.
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 09:20:51 +0200

I have a machine into which I have plugged a pair of USB speakers (some
model by Trust). Happily, they worked out of the box. That is, the
proper drivers were automatically loaded and the devices accept sound
from programs like xmms. (Linux is just getting to be less challenging
these days...)

KDE is a different issue. If I tell KDE to use a specific audio device
(e.g., /dev/dsp1 - my USB speakers - instead of /dev/dsp), I can get it
to play its test sound to that device. However, nothing I do can make
KDE generally use this device. Restart KDE and it is back to
using /dev/dsp. kmix shows the USB speakers, so KDE does know about
them, but the sound is not coming from them.

Is there some magic to getting KDE to use a specified audio device?

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Ramböll Sverige AB