[opensuse] Sound advice
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 09:13:19 +0200

Or, advice on sound.

I am looking to use sound as a way for diskless (and displayless and
keyboardless and speakerless) KIWI (OpenSUSE 10.3) systems to send
status info by sound to another openSUSE 10.3 system, which can play it
on it's speakers. There can be more than one KIWI sending messages. It
is very very low volume of messages that will be sent. Things like 'I'm
ready'", or "Sh*t, I'm dying". The sounds can be in whatever format is
best. I am thinking simple 8-bit wav files of the sort you can usually
cat to /dev/dsp. But I do not think the sound format is an issue.

Of course, a pop-up window, perhaps via X, is also possible. But it is
not what we are looking to use. Such popups have 'issues' in our use.

My question is, if you were to choose one of the sound system systems
delivered with openSUSE, and that might continue to be delivered for a
few more releases, which would you choose for this sort of networked
sound? Pulse Audio? Something else? Any experience/advice to share?

Of course, I could make something simple myself. But I would like to
spend such time making new things, not reinventing existing things that
may fit the bill.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST