Re: [opensuse] complex confusing partition problem
  • From: Bob S <911@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 22:46:03 -0400
On Thursday 03 April 2008 03:32:08 am jdd sur free wrote:
Bob S a écrit :
Hello SuSE users,

Going to need a guru for this one.

I think I was for the old naming sheme, not so for the new :-(.

But what I don't see in your mail is the booting sequence...

you can boot of many ways, in Linux. most of the time, when using YaST
defaults, grub is written in the MBR (master of the first disk) and so
the last openSUSE install rules all the booting system.

Yes. I have always used the Yast defaults.

If this is the case, the other grubs menus are never used and so not
relevant.

Well yes, I hear what you are saying but I do have the cascading menu.
I will attach the 10.3 grub menu when I reply to Carlos's lengthy analysis.

The other case is when one istalls grub on the root partition and then
the mbr menu only send the pointer to each partition grub (at this
moment you have two cascading grub menus)

Actually it is not a partition problem but

one of having two instances of 10.2 installed -unintentionally.

/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ST380011A_5JVQS2KB-part5 /backup
ext3 defaults 1 2

As you can see the new way of naming disks in fstab is just done for
such situation. It makes it easy to see what disk is involved. It's
pretty difficult to make this by hand, but yast do it for you.So you
better stay with the 10.3 grub menu and yast partitionner.

I want to keep my SUSE (10.2)

do you need only 10.2, 10.3 and windows? if the 3 boot correctly, keep
using 10.3 grub and comment out the unused grub entries.

No, as above clicking on 10.2 in the 10.3 grub menu opens the second menu
where I can choose between the two 10.2 versions

The
partitioner will show the setup clearly.

why would you install the 11 if your computer behave well with the
previous ones?

I just like to try out the new releases after they are somewhat stable.

anyway if the partitionner behave clearly, go on. do not remove
anything in the partition before being really sure you don't have the
same data mounted twice :-)

jdd
(and remember new sata driver can only cope with 16 partitions)

Yeah, I know, 14 actually. That is why I, Carlos and others complained so
bitterly when they did that. Supposed to be a work around but hasn't happened
yet.

Take a look at my reply to Carlos.

Bob S.