Re: [opensuse] complex confusing partition problem
  • From: Bob S <911@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 02:02:01 -0400
On Thursday 03 April 2008 09:20:32 am Carlos E. R. wrote:
The Wednesday 2008-04-02 at 21:58 -0400, Bob S wrote:

I then bought a 250 GB sata drive to install 10.3 on as I wanted to keep
10.2 on hdb and all of the storage on the hda drive. 10.3 installed
flawlessly on the saata drive. However after booting 10.3 a couple of
times I decided to copy over some of my stuff from the 10.2 install. To
my amazement, when I clicked on 10.2 in the grub menu, it brought up
another grub menu with two instances of 10.2. Each of them booted and
opened up. One instance was complete and performed perfectly the other
opened and looked fine. Same desktop schemes etc. as the good one. But
none of my /home info was there and It would not open any of the apps I
had installed, would not print, etc. etc.

Another install you forgot about, probably.

No, only one 10.2 was installed on hdb. And that waas done long before I
bought the sata drive to install 10.3 on

Now, when I installed 10.3 the libata thing came into play. It made the
new sata disk sda. then it took the ide disks and renamed hda to sdb and
the hdb disk and renamed it sdc. (I complained bitterly to the list but
it made no difference)

No...

One thing that helps is to have all partitions "labeled". Some of your old
partitions have labels, but not the new ones in the new disk.

Yes, that is so true, What is it they say? "spilt milk" , "water over the
dam" ?

So now I look at the grub menu.lst for both instances of 10.2 and they
are exactly the same. NOTE: I renamed the good 10.2 to plain "SUSE" for
clarity and so I could choose the proper instance from the second grub
menu. Following is the grub menu:

We'd need to look at the big disk grub, too (the 10.3 system).

Boot your 10.3, and copy-paste the /boot/grub/menu.lst file and the
/boot/grub/device.map file. Then boot each 10.2 and do the same.

OK, here is the 10.3 grub menu and the device map file:
# Modified by YaST2. Last modification on Wed Feb 13 00:32:30 EST 2008
default 0
timeout 8
gfxmenu (hd2,7)/boot/message

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
title openSUSE 10.3 - 2.6.22.17-0.1
root (hd2,7)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.17-0.1-default root=/dev/sda8 vga=0x31a
resume=/dev/sda3 splash=silent showopts
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.22.17-0.1-default

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: failsafe###
title Failsafe -- openSUSE 10.3 - 2.6.22.17-0.1
root (hd2,7)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.17-0.1-default root=/dev/sda8 vga=normal
showopts ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off noresume edd=off 3
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.22.17-0.1-default

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: openSUSE 10.2
(/dev/sdc1)###
title openSUSE 10.2 (/dev/sdc1)
root (hd1,0)
configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: windows###
title Windows
rootnoverify (hd2,7)
chainloader (hd0,0)+1

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: floppy###
title Floppy
rootnoverify (hd2,7)
chainloader (fd0)+1
(fd0) /dev/fd0
(hd2) /dev/sda
(hd1) /dev/sdc
(hd0) /dev/sdb
OK, here is the menu.lst for both of the 10.2's The good working one and
the "bogus" not working one. They are the same.
# Modified by YaST2. Last modification on Tue Sep 18 19:13:07 EDT 2007
default 0
timeout 8
gfxmenu (hd1,0)/boot/message

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
title openSUSE 10.2
root (hd1,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb1 resume=/dev/sda3 splash=silent
showopts
initrd /boot/initrd

title SUSE
root (hd2,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 resume=/dev/sda3 splash=silent
showopts
initrd /boot/initrd

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: failsafe###
title Failsafe -- openSUSE 10.2
root (hd1,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb1 showopts ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off
noresume edd=off 3
initrd /boot/initrd

title Windows
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader (hd0,0)+1

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: floppy###
title Floppy
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader (fd0)+1
That certainly does look like there are two copies. (hd1.0 & hd2.0)
OK ,again, both of them are exactly the same.
(hd1) /dev/hdb
(fd0) /dev/fd0
(hd2) /dev/sda
(hd0) /dev/hda
OK....Where were we? So confusing. Continuing on. Would love to trim some of
this stuff but I don't know what.

--------------------------------
# Modified by YaST2. Last modification on Tue Sep 18 19:13:07 EDT 2007
default 0
timeout 8
gfxmenu (hd1,0)/boot/message

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
title openSUSE 10.2
root (hd1,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb1 resume=/dev/sda3 splash=silent
showopts initrd /boot/initrd

title SUSE
root (hd2,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 resume=/dev/sda3 splash=silent
showopts initrd /boot/initrd

I think you have 10.3 in sda8, and a 10.2 in sda1 (big disk).

Ohhhh Carlos. you may be right, but how can that be ??? The partitioning
looks right and if Yast did that wouldn't there be a lot of used disk space?
Note that root is different between SUSE and SUSE 10.2. Also, /dev/sda1
should actually be 10.3 ( I think) So now I look at the fstab for both.
They are quite different. Following is for the good instance designated
SUSE -----------------------------------------------
/dev/sda1 / ext3 acl,user_xattr
1 1 /dev/sda7 /fat vfat
users,gid=users,umask=0002,utf8=true 0 0
/dev/sda2 /home ext3 acl,user_xattr
1 2 /dev/sda6 /tmp ext3 acl,user_xattr
1 2 /dev/sda5 /var ext3
acl,user_xattr 1 2 /dev/sda3 swap swap
defaults 0 0

This is 10.2 in /dev/sda1, I think.

Oh I hope not. Thaat would be a real mess

/dev/hda2 /workspace ext3 user,acl
1 2 /dev/hda3 /datastorage ext3 defaults
1 2

That's /dev/sdb in the photo.

Yes, because libata changed hda to sdb

/dev/hda1 /windows vfat

/dev/hdb1 /boot ext3 acl,user_xattr
1 0

This could be... ugh! ... could be /dev/sdc1 in the photo. That's a 10 GB
partition dedicated to /boot of your 10.2 system in /dev/sda1 !

Yes, because hdb1 was the original / (boot) for 10.2. libata changed it. FYI I
never make a /boot partition but I do make a large / primary partition for
growth and new things.
---------------- BUT....Look at the first 5 lines. They say /dev/sda*.
That can't be, /dev/sda is SUSE 10.3. So now I look at the fstab for 10.3
and I get this unintelligible mess:

Yes, sda1 is 10.2, and sda8 is 10.3. Not what you expected.

Certainly not

Somehow you have a 10.2 (and a 10.3) in your new disk, and another 10.2 in
your old disk.

Ohhh Carlos, I wish you to be wrong. How can that happen? Wouldn't the
partitions be filled up with all of the 10.2 stuff?

/dev/sda8 / ext3 acl,user_xattr
1 1 /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ST380011A_5JVQS2KB-part5 /backup
ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ST380011A_5JVQS2KB-part3 /datastorage
ext3

---------- So continuing on: The following is for the bogus SUSE 10.2
But it looks like it should except that the LVM's don't show. There is
however a ~fstab which does show the LVM's.

I know nothing about LVM, sorry.

No problem. Evidently neither do I.

/dev/hdb1 / ext3 acl,user_xattr
1 1

This is sdc in the photo.

Yes, because again, libata changed hdb to sdc.

/dev/hdb2 /home ext3 acl,user_xattr
1 2 /dev/hdb7 /opt ext3 acl,user_xattr
1 2 /dev/hdb8 /tmp ext3
acl,user_xattr 1 2 /dev/hdb5 /usr ext3
acl,user_xattr 1 2 /dev/hdb6 /var
ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 2 /dev/hda1 /windows/C
vfat

The /home, /opt, /tmp, /usr, and /var, were the original LVM partitions on
10.2 in the original hdb

because the fat partition is in sdb.

The original fat partition was on hdb ?. A common fat file to save stuff to
from both os's. ( I think) But it wasn't an LVM. Just a part of /

So, the "bogus" 10.2 is really your old 10.2, broken because the LVM is
not active, probably.

I hope not but I am beginning to think you are right. How am I ever going to
fix that? Suppose I could fix my original hdb (now sdc) and restore the LVM's
somehow? What would I do then with the now new "bogus" 10.2 on sda?

users,gid=users,umask=0002,utf8=true 0 0
/dev/sda7 /windows/D vfat
users,gid=users,umask=0002,utf8=true 0 0
/dev/sda3 swap swap defaults
0 0

So, sda here is also sda in the photo

I guess. So confused now I don't know what to think.

So now I look at my partitioner and of course there is no hda or hdb but
it does seem to reflect the partitioning accurately. But no LVM and no
explanation for the dual appearances of 10.2. I have attached the screen
shot of the partitioner. Hopefully it will survive the censors. If not I
can put it up on the web for viewing if anyone wants to see it.

Got ok.

Good, one less small problem.

I think some "ghost fairy" cloned your lvm 10.2 into your new SATA drive,
disabled the lvm, reconstructed the fstab the "bogus" 10.2 (thus the
references to sda there), and installed 10.3 in the SATA (big disk).

Oh Carlos, you may be right. That means everything is screwed up. Both 10.2
and 10.3. Start all over again? Why?? Because some hair-brained idea that
this would be a good thing to do? Without any thought of the consequences? No
doubt in my mind that the change to libata caused this mess. The dev's just
foisted this upon us without any thought or consideration of the
consequences it may cause. Tough cookies guys. Live with it. I sincerely hope
that it did not cause you the problems it has me. I know that you run several
different releases concurrently. Maybe your saving grace was that you don't
use LVM's.

I want to keep my SUSE (10.2) and get rid of the bogus SUSE 10.2 because
it is solid and complete. Better yet it would be great to get everything
in one single grub menu before I install 11.0. I have no idea on how to
proceed,or to delete what partitions because libata changed all of the
names. The partitioner will show the setup clearly.

Hopefully the guru's out there can analyze this and come up with a
solution

You need a good one!

So far you are the best. I wish that the others would take the time and energy
to right a wrong and speak out about it.

You have over 100 GB not partitioned in your big disk, you can use that to
move over things and repartition your old disks fresh.

I'm sure you know what that entails. Hours and hours of uneccesary work just
to get back to where you were originally. Why? For some stupid decision that
is ambiguous at best.

A proposal about what you can actually do... dunno, not yet. Let's wait
for more comments.

I certainly hope they are forthcoming.

Cheers,
Carlos E. R.