[opensuse] NAS backup solution for OpenSuSE users
  • From: Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 11:35:37 +0800
Dear all

We run a small office and is preparing to buy an NAS device to backup
every workstation. There are a lot of available NAS devices on the
market (most of them runs Linux) and many of them ship with backup
software that I can install on every workstation and automate the backup
process. Since I use OpenSuSE and I am in position to choose the
products, I must choose something that either offer backup software that
can be installed on Linux, or offer easy way to let me configure
OpenSuSE to backup to that thing.

I am looking for devices below 500 USD (because we don't have too high
requirements on disk space and connection bandwidth). Better be very
linux compatible. However when I ask for Linux compatibility every
retailer says they support Linux 100% and all of them don't know what
they are saying (some of them start to think of a bitten apple logo). If
you have been to Beijing's Zhong Guancun, the computer market, you know
what I mean. Looking through manufacturer's websites is also a lot of
homework to do. So, if you have had any experience with some nice cheap
NAS device and enjoying backup from OpenSuSE workstation, can you
recommend something here?

I also think it's very helpful to have an NAS device compatible with any
Linux desktop backup software, like Bacula, Amanda and BackupPC,
Kbackup, Keep or the native "Backup" feature of yast.

Thanks very much in advance. I also think other people using OpenSuSE in
small office can benifit from our discussion:)

Best regards
Zhang Weiwu