[opensuse] virtual display size/resolution
  • From: Alex Angerhofer <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 17:04:03 -0500 (EST)
Dear List,

I am running stock suse linux 10.3 on my pc (amd64) using a GDM17E21
monitor. The graphics card is an older nvidia GeForce FX 5700 Ultra type.
The display is set up correctly with sax2 and works fine.
However, I would like to add an optional display mode with twice the
resolution with the goal of getting a virtual display four times the size
of what it is right now. I understand that there are physical limitations
to that, probably mainly the graphics card, and that this would have to be
done as a virtual display. I have vmware running on my machine and I can
achieve a virtual display size of 2048x1536 max. I am not sure what is
limiting the resolution to these numbers. Does anybody know what the
limits are for some of the other virtual machines out there?

Thanks in advance, Alex.