[opensuse] Firefox and Flash Content
  • From: Kai Ponte <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 21:49:41 -0700
I seem to get random, sudden crashes of Firefox when I view Flash content. It
will sometimes work and sometimes crash. I can restart without much trouble.
I ran the app from the cli and it gave me the followng...

kai@xwing:~> firefox
Flash Player: Warning: environment variable G_FILENAME_ENCODING is set and is
not UTF-8
Flash Player: Warning: environment variable G_FILENAME_ENCODING is set and is
not UTF-8
Flash Player: Warning: environment variable G_FILENAME_ENCODING is set and is
not UTF-8

In help/about, I have

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.13) Gecko/20080316
SUSE/2.0.0.13-0.1 Firefox/2.0.0.13

For Flash, I have:

Shockwave Flash

File name: libflashplayer.so
Shockwave Flash 9.0 r115

MIME Type Description
Suffixes Enabled
application/x-shockwave-flash Shockwave Flash swf
Yes
application/futuresplash FutureSplash Player spl
Yes

I've googled but this seems to be a hit-or-miss situation with openSUSE,
Gentoo and a few other distros.

Ideas?

--
kai