Re: [opensuse] Re: opensuse 10.3 x64 monitor power save intermittant
  • From: Vahe Avedissian <vyav@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 16:57:45 -0700 (PDT)

----- Original Message ----
From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
To: opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, April 2, 2008 11:41:57 AM
Subject: [opensuse] Re: opensuse 10.3 x64 monitor power save intermittant

On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 11:30:36 -0700, Vahe Avedissian wrote:

> Folks, this is an odd and intermittant problem with monitor power save.
> After a fresh power on everything works fine. When the pc goes idle the
> set amount of time, the monitor first goes to stand by (black screen)
> then powers off. It then powers on on keyboard and/or mouse activity.
> The odd thing is after several days of intensive work, this stops
> working and the monitor does not turn off. Again after several days go
> by it starts working again... For the last couple of days it stopped
> working...
>
> I know the setup is correct, I just don't understand the inconsistant
> behavior. Any ideas how to check what is going on or how to fix this?

I've been meaning to ask about this myself - I see this on both x86 and
x64 versions of openSUSE 10.3.

On my 32-bit system, sometimes it kicks in properly, other times it kicks
in after a couple of minutes of inactivity (I've got it set for 11
minutes of no activity, 1 minute after the screensaver kicks in). It
seems to be very unpredictable as to when it's going to work and what
delay.

Hardware in use is a Thinkpad T42p (for 32-bit) and an HP Pavilion s7727c
(64-bit). ATI proprietary drivers on the Thinkpad, nVidia proprietary
drivers on the HP.

Jim

I am using a home made tyan mobo based pc with nvidia driver. Usually works
just fine but sometomes the monitor does not shut down at night and that becomes
anoying and wasteful.

Vahe