Re: [opensuse] World-largest Linux Migration Project
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 17:37:04 -0500
If I understand the gist of your question...

I think its possible that many servers, especially the more specialized
ones don't need to apply kernel updates at all, or if so they need only a
very few.

I know of many mission critical FAA servers (not Air Traffic Control
related) were running a rather old version of Debian several years out of
date. These thing sere located everywhere and only ssh and a cut down web
server on them, and the only thing that forced an upgrade was the desire to
burn periodic data to DVDs rather than CDroms.

I have one customer still running SuSE 9.1, And it only reboots when
the UPS is exhausted.

Yes, that was basic question.
So, long uptime is possible under certain conditions where one doesn't need to
update kernel.

--
Regards, Rajko
http://en.opensuse.org/Portal needs helpful hands.