[opensuse] Re: problem with interface to LCD projector on thinkpad t42
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 19:22:31 +0000 (UTC)
On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 21:04:30 +0200, Verner Kjærsgaard wrote:

K.R. Foley skrev:
Dirk Petry wrote:
Hi,
I have a Thinkpad T42 running dual-boot opensuse 10.3 and win xp. When
I boot unter xp, I have no problems with connecting an lcd projector
to the auxiliary monitor interface and getting a good image.
When I boot under linux with the projector already connected, there is
no problem either.
But when I boot under linux without the projector connected and then
connect it later while the machine is already running, I get a
strangely oscillating display on the projector as if the frequency is
not correctly adjusted.

Has anyone seen the same or any suggestions for a solution?

The graphics card is an ati radeon 7500.

Just a thought, some projectors have problems doing higher resolutions
than 1024X768. Is the resolution different on the laptop when it boots
with the projector connected versus not?

Hi,

- I know of the problem, has had to deal with it numerous times. FYI
it's not a SuSE problem, this weekend I was doing a RHEL5 show. Got the
exact problem you describe.

I solve it this way.

I fire up my TP w/o projector, makes sure the display resolution is what
I want and one the projector will accept.

I save my xorg.conf

I reboot, (cold) this time with the projector attached. A strange
display with al sorts of errors/stribes and what have we will come up.

I shell out (ctrl+alt+f1) and fix med xorg.conf driver. Go back to my
messed up display, kills X (crtl+esc+backspace) and relog in.

Bingo!

The thing that seems to have worked for me is to configure an external
monitor in SAX (I did this for my real external monitor). Using the ATI
proprietary driver, I have yet to have a problem getting the projector to
light up when plugged in (though sometimes I have to change resolution).

Jim