Re: [opensuse] problem with interface to LCD projector on thinkpad t42
  • From: Verner Kjærsgaard <vk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 21:04:30 +0200
K.R. Foley skrev:
Dirk Petry wrote:
Hi,
I have a Thinkpad T42 running dual-boot opensuse 10.3 and win xp.
When I boot unter xp, I have no problems with connecting an lcd
projector to the auxiliary monitor interface and getting a good
image.
When I boot under linux with the projector already connected,
there is no problem either.
But when I boot under linux without the projector connected
and then connect it later while the machine is already running,
I get a strangely oscillating display on the projector as if the
frequency is not correctly adjusted.

Has anyone seen the same or any suggestions for a solution?

The graphics card is an ati radeon 7500.

Just a thought, some projectors have problems doing higher resolutions than 1024X768. Is the resolution different on the laptop when it boots with the projector connected versus not?

Hi,

- I know of the problem, has had to deal with it numerous times. FYI it's not a SuSE problem, this weekend I was doing a RHEL5 show. Got the exact problem you describe.

I solve it this way.

I fire up my TP w/o projector, makes sure the display resolution is what I want and one the projector will accept.

I save my xorg.conf

I reboot, (cold) this time with the projector attached. A strange display with al sorts of errors/stribes and what have we will come up.

I shell out (ctrl+alt+f1) and fix med xorg.conf driver. Go back to my messed up display, kills X (crtl+esc+backspace) and relog in.

Bingo!

Med venlig hilsen/best regards
Verner Kjærsgaard
Novell Certified Linux Professional 10035701
www.os-academy.dk +45 56964223

Prisbillig hotelovernatning!
Se www.bbhotels.dk