[opensuse] Re: opensuse 10.3 x64 monitor power save intermittant
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 18:41:57 +0000 (UTC)
On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 11:30:36 -0700, Vahe Avedissian wrote:

Folks, this is an odd and intermittant problem with monitor power save.
After a fresh power on everything works fine. When the pc goes idle the
set amount of time, the monitor first goes to stand by (black screen)
then powers off. It then powers on on keyboard and/or mouse activity.
The odd thing is after several days of intensive work, this stops
working and the monitor does not turn off. Again after several days go
by it starts working again... For the last couple of days it stopped
working...

I know the setup is correct, I just don't understand the inconsistant
behavior. Any ideas how to check what is going on or how to fix this?

I've been meaning to ask about this myself - I see this on both x86 and
x64 versions of openSUSE 10.3.

On my 32-bit system, sometimes it kicks in properly, other times it kicks
in after a couple of minutes of inactivity (I've got it set for 11
minutes of no activity, 1 minute after the screensaver kicks in). It
seems to be very unpredictable as to when it's going to work and what
delay.

Hardware in use is a Thinkpad T42p (for 32-bit) and an HP Pavilion s7727c
(64-bit). ATI proprietary drivers on the Thinkpad, nVidia proprietary
drivers on the HP.

Jim