Re: [opensuse] World-largest Linux Migration Project
  • From: G T Smith <grahamsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 12:38:10 +0100

John Andersen wrote:
On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 9:33 PM, Kai Ponte <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
there
are still many large companies running NetWare 3.12 servers, many with 1000+
days of uptime.

3.12 was a killer version. From there it got weirder and weirder and
eventually
weirded its way into obscurity. They had to do it to get directory
services in
because that was the Microsoft selling point, but everything about netware
4.x and later was downhill. I jumped off the train and climbed on the linux
bandwagon rather than go to netware 5.

With a big UPS at one of my customer sites, I did have a 3.12
installation run for over two years in spite of power failures. I only
took it down to add more disk drives.

Novell marketing is and always was non-existent. They wrote the most
dry ads and most leaden prose
of any group I have ever seen. Its clear they neither understood
their products nor had ever even talked
to anyone who did. I always came away from one of their sales
brochures with that "whatthefuckdidthatsay"
feelings. I never understood any of their product line, or even why I
would want to use it. It was like reading ads for left handed widgets
written in Korean.

I think the dating is a little confused here. NW4.0->4.10->4.11
pre-dated AD by a fair bit. Had things like a dynamic DS schema and a
far more sophisticated DS management tools than AD originally had
(basically in its first incarnation it was domain services with a DS
look and feel).

At some point Novell produced NDS for NT which effectively ripped out
the Domain Services part out of NT and gave a lot of M$ execs collective
apoplexy (backoffice was then specifically modified to only run if and
only M$ networking was enabled which added to to the bloat and the
complex fiddling to get Domain Services and later AD to interoperate
with NDS).

So companies like Novell were shafted by M$ for the M$ world...
Linux/UNIX support for NDS (e-Directory) was late and unfortunately IIRC
in its originally incarnation involved hacking Red Hat with vi...
something that was unlikely to appeal to those from the DOS/PC world...

Yes Novell historically have been good at technology and bad at
marketing, and the annual Novell technology conferences such as
Brainshare were usually for the technically literate not the man with
the cheque book.... (Coming back with a luggage full of literature very
nearly gave me a hernia on a few occasions....)

- --
telephone.

Bjarne Stroustrup