Re: [opensuse] Software IDE RAID versus hardware IDE RAID
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 20:28:51 -0500
John Bown wrote:
Hello everyone. I have an old server with an IDE RAID card in it on
which I'd like to install openSUSE 10.3. The problem is, support for
said RAID card (a Dell CERC ATA/100) has been discontinued for some time
now. With that I ask, how feasible and/or advisable would it be to
attempt the following?

1) Install openSUSE and configure it to use software RAID (two mirrored
IDE drives (master/slave) for system, two stripped IDE drives
(master/slave) for data)
2) Enable Encrypted File System (EFS)

Basically, I'm worried that an IDE based machine will be painfully slow
due to the high disk activity. Ideally I would use the machine's
existing SCSI U320 interface, but the required hard drives are just too
expensive.

Since the machine has two 2.4GHz Xeon processors in it, couldn't I
designate one to do nothing but RAID and encryption, thereby leaving the
other processor free to do everything else, such as running virtual
machines? If so, can anyone point me in the direction of a good online
how-to?

Thank you for your collective time.

John

Just use software raid it works great. I have 3 servers using it presently without any complaints. You won't notice any overhead on any modern processor with minimal ram. P-III 800 is fine. Advantages:

The partitions and format are recognizable under any linux system. Therefore, if you have a controller or other hardware problem, you are not stuck with disk in a proprietary format. Simply stick the disk in another box with another disk and rebuild the raid array regardless of hardware.

The 10.3 yast partitioner makes it simple to set up. Just partition each disk as you like (/ , /boot , /home are the default) and select dm-raid as the filesystem type (instead of ext3, etc.) for each partition and your done.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC