Re: [opensuse] World-largest Linux Migration Project
  • From: "John Andersen" <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 11:47:02 -0700
On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 11:42 AM, Oddball <monkey9@xxxxxx> wrote:
Andrei Verovski (aka MacGuru) schreef:
> Hi !
>
> According to the reliable sources, press releases and media coverage the
> largest Linux migration (several millions of PCs and servers currently
> running Windows XP/Vista and MS Servers) ever is about to start.
>
> The first news come from national-wide Russian Post service (state-owned
> company) which signed an agreement with Red Hat and IBM to switch MS-based
> platform to Red Hat Linux and Open Referent.

For a project of this size I find it odd they chose Red Hat (or IBM
for that matter).

You would almost think they would chosen ALT or started their own
distro for a project of this size. An why hire IBM? The Russian
linux community is well regarded, and probably at least as well versed
as IBM.

After that big inventment IBM made in SuSE/Novell, its odd they didn't
push SLED.