[opensuse] Software IDE RAID versus hardware IDE RAID
  • From: "John Bown" <john.bown@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 10:40:59 -0400
Hello everyone. I have an old server with an IDE RAID card in it on
which I'd like to install openSUSE 10.3. The problem is, support for
said RAID card (a Dell CERC ATA/100) has been discontinued for some time
now. With that I ask, how feasible and/or advisable would it be to
attempt the following?

1) Install openSUSE and configure it to use software RAID (two mirrored
IDE drives (master/slave) for system, two stripped IDE drives
(master/slave) for data)
2) Enable Encrypted File System (EFS)

Basically, I'm worried that an IDE based machine will be painfully slow
due to the high disk activity. Ideally I would use the machine's
existing SCSI U320 interface, but the required hard drives are just too
expensive.

Since the machine has two 2.4GHz Xeon processors in it, couldn't I
designate one to do nothing but RAID and encryption, thereby leaving the
other processor free to do everything else, such as running virtual
machines? If so, can anyone point me in the direction of a good online
how-to?

Thank you for your collective time.

John