Re: [opensuse] suggestion for *mail* backup
  • From: Stan Goodman <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 17:09:10 +0300
On Tuesday 01 April 2008 13:46:31 jdd wrote:
I open this thread because it's near the nearly same subject thread
about backup, but I never found a good answer.

It's easy to backup the hole .mozilla (for example), but restoring it
is not (merge problem).

what I need is more like mail archive, an html accessible mail storage.

I use seamonkey, but kmail or thunderbird may have similar context.

Last time I tied to do this (several years ago) I use a html archive
progam, but this one didn't know howto archive more than one account
at a time. I had to copy all my mails (spread in a handfull of
different accounts) in the same box and start from this,

the system was far from pleasant and the result not so good.

Do you know an archive progam that could scan a mozilla account, read
all the (nested) mail folders and build an html tree?
thanks

At the end of each month, I just move the contents of the sent-mail folder
(and any other folder I want to keep) into a monthly archive folder, e.g.
Archives/2008Mar, as I did this morning That also preserves any
attachments that I haven't deleted. This serves me well; is there
something that it lacks?

One could suggest the eg Kmail have a Settings option to keep sent mail in
the monthly folder automatically, instead of sent-mail, as is done in at
least one other mailer to my knowledge. But that wasn't in the question.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on