Re: [opensuse] suggestion for *mail* backup
  • From: Sam Clemens <clemens.sam1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 06:41:50 -0400
jdd wrote:
I open this thread because it's near the nearly same subject thread about backup, but I never found a good answer.

It's easy to backup the hole .mozilla (for example), but restoring it is not (merge problem).

The individual mail "folders" are all in mbox(5) format

Having said that, you can restore lost mail by shutting down
Mozilla, copying files from your backup into the portion of
the .mozilla tree that holds your mail (taking care to
*NOT* overwrite any existing files), and then moving files
around as you see fit.

what I need is more like mail archive, an html accessible mail storage.

UGH! NO!

HTML just explodes everything by a factor of 2x to 3x.

I use seamonkey, but kmail or thunderbird may have similar context.

Last time I tied to do this (several years ago) I use a html archive progam, but this one didn't know howto archive more than one account at a time. I had to copy all my mails (spread in a handfull of different accounts) in the same box and start from this,

the system was far from pleasant and the result not so good.

Do you know an archive progam that could scan a mozilla account, read all the (nested) mail folders and build an html tree?

Worthwhile problem -- but that's the wrong answer.

thanks
jdd