Re: [opensuse] Suggestions for backup software?
  • From: Sam Clemens <clemens.sam1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 02:31:38 -0400
John Andersen wrote:
On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 11:50 AM, Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It seems useful to distinguish backup, which is a prophylaxis against
> unexpected data loss, and archiving, which is for preserving a
> historical record of your files. One often need not archive nearly as
> much data as one would want to be able to recover after a hardware,
> software or human error.

... And conversely, one need not expect backup data to have nearly th
longevity of archival storage.

But what qualifies as archival storage these days? There really is
nothing except
saving it on hard drives, and even those don't retain data forever.
Even if they did,
will be even be able to cable those drives up in 5 years as SATA pushes the last
ide interface out the door?

Nothing you print on any consumer grade photo printer is expected to
last even 10 years.

We risk being the first generation with no shoe-box full of photos to pass down
to our children. Instead we will give them a box full of disk of various media
non of which can be read because the drives are no longer made or the media
itself has deteriorated.

Which is one reason why I still use film.