Re: [opensuse] Kmail & Spamassassin
  • From: Bob S <911@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 23:37:27 -0400
On Monday 31 March 2008 01:20:23 pm John Andersen wrote:
On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 10:03 AM, Joe Sloan <joe@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Kaare Rasmussen wrote:
> I've recently installed the Spamassassin filter for Kmail. It sure
> removes some spam, but not nearly enough. Typycally it will remove
> approximately 75 out of 175 spam messages, leaving 100 left for me to
> sift through.
>
> I've let it learn what is spam for a week or so now, with absolutely
> no impact on the ratio. Obviously, I wonder if I register spam in
> vain, did I forget something, do I have to few messages (don't know
> how to see the numbers, but I guess I have 1-2.000 spam messages
> registered), or is it not that efficient to have identified spam as I
> thought?

spamassassin can do a good job as part of a multi layered spam defense.

Spamassassin can do an EXCELLENT job as the ONLY layer in a
spam defense EVEN on a pop-3 client such as Kmail.

Sanity check and grey listing at an smtp gateway (beyond the control
of the pop-3 user) are largely redundant, as virtually none of this
traffic passes a well tuned Spamassassin setup.

Also. when you run across an occasional spam, doesn't "clicking" on the little
round icon with the curved arrow that is in the Kmail toolbar also train
spamassassin by inputting into the bayes filter? If so, it should not
require anymore bayesian training. Corrrect? or not?

Bob S