Re: [opensuse] Suggestions for backup software?
  • From: Neijing Sahni <neijing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 17:52:10 +0530
Hello Stan,
If you have to manage one system only with not too much data on it then
linux native backup commands "dump" and "restore" will do it for you. The
catch is however, that you need to be in Single User mode to do it to avoid
any running programs and any open files including locks.

So let say if you have 160 GB inter HDD partitions as /, /var, /home, for eg.
then you can use dump to individually backup this on a removable USB HDD of
similar capacity with or without compression.

This is pretty straight forward and much safer as you will creating dump files
for each partitions on removable media from which you can individually back
then on Rewritable DVD to keep updation the future incremental or Full
backups if you need double protection.

If in case your internal HDD crashes, then all you have to do is boot from
Linux Bootdisk, go to rescue mode, partition the new HDD and mount it and
start restoring it from / first and then subsequent partitions mounted under
the new root and so forth. Once done just do a grub install and that's it.

The dump and restore documentation is pretty straight forward and there is no
need to install any third part softwares for native things.

I use this to manage my personal systems as well as the primary server in my
office.

Hope this helps.

Regards
NS