[opensuse] envvar DISPLAY not set on bash invocation fr/sshd
  • From: Linda Walsh <suse@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 19:49:03 -0700
I noticed, recently, that when I log into a 10.3 based system, my
DISPLAY variable isn't being set to "[localhost:10.0]" (or anything).
I've upgraded more packages since I last knew it was working, but
don't remoteX from this machine regularly, so I don't know exactly when
it broke.

I thought I'd not configured something 'obvious' but I compared
it with another machine running 10.3 which is working and I can't
figure out what the difference is between the two.

I've tried two separate environments logging into both machines
(SecureCRT && Cygwin). Behavior is the same (fails on newer
upgraded machine, but not the older one). REMOTEHOST is being
set on both machines, as expected.

I've been trying to figure out 'when' during the ssh-login process it
might be failing.

known failure is when bash's /etc/profile is called -- top
of the file I temporarily tossed in an edit on both machines and
DISPLAY wasn't making it to at that point.

The /etc/sshd_config files on both machines are identical except for
names of local network interfaces to listen on.

The user's .ssh/ssh_config files is the same on both.

The '/etc/security/pam_env.conf files are the same.

pam_env is configured for use on both machines /etc/pam.d/common-auth, seemingly correctly.

I'm guessing there must be some other place along the login chain that
somehow is different -- isn't it ->(sshd)->pam->login->bash?

Anyone know of other places that might try to block 'ssh' envvars
being passed in?

Thanks much..
-Linda