[opensuse] 10.3 Installer Hanging up during install
  • From: Travis Beaty <twbeaty@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 12:54:15 -0500
Greetings all. I'm having a bit of a problem that I'm hoping someone can help
out with.

I am trying to install OpenSuse 10.3 on my desktop system. All appears to go
well, until the installation is actually supposed to begin. Then the
installer appears to simply stop. The "busy cursor" on the mouse is running,
but nothing happens. I have let it sit like this for a couple of hours, just
in case something is going on in the background and no dialog box is popping
up to announce this.

I have listed the specifics of the machine I am trying to install on below.
I've done the following to try to work out the problem.

Media check on the install DVD. This came out good ... in fact, it is the
same disk I used to install OpenSuse on the laptop I'm using at the moment.

Scanned both hard drives for errors using Windows XP's Scan-disk. Neither
disk had errors.

Ran Memtest (supplied with the installation DVD) for two hours. All tests
passed.

At first, I thought it was a problem with the partioner, so I tried a number
of different partitioning schemes, including the "default" one, to no avail.
However, I did notice that when I use a custom partitioning scheme, the hang
happens after I okay all the non-free license windows; when I accept the
default partitioning screen, the hang up happens before these licenses.

CTRL-ALT'ed into a terminal, and checked what logs I could find. Nothing
helpful there.

One other thing that I thought of is the fact I'm trying to use ReiserFS,
instead of the default ext3. I'm using it on my laptop, and did not have any
problems when installing on the laptop.

Finally tried to Google the issue, and found nothing useful doing this. Any
help I could get would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Travis.

eMachines W3118 (AMD Sempron) processor, 1.81 GHz
736M RAM
Two Western Digital Hard drives, both SCSI 80G
Currently has Windows XP, aiming for dual boot, with Linux as primary OS.