Re: [opensuse] /bin/rm: Argument list too long
  • From: Sam Clemens <clemens.sam1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 04:07:45 -0400
Per Jessen wrote:
Sam Clemens wrote:

which "configure" is that?

$ which configure
$

Hmmm... it seems that "configure" is *NOT* a standard command.

What do you think about that?
I think anyone who sees dot-slash-configure and pretends not
>to know what it refers to has lost the focus of the discussion.

No...I was driving home a point.

Although common, "configure" is a not a standard program

It is usually a script generated by the standard 'autoconf/automake'
utilities. I tend to agree with Brian that dot-slash-configure is a
well-known and fairly standard command - with various exceptions to
prove the rule.

And that's part of the point.

Configure is a shell script, not a compiled executable file,
and it doesn't assume to know anything about the environment,
because it's purpose is to test the environment so that a
program knows what models to compile against (i.e. BSD vs
SystemV style differences (most glaring in the strings
library)...whats the name of the C compiler? cc or gcc,
etc....and as alluded to... how big of a buffer is available
to the standard shell(s)?).

It's more of a helper tool than a standard app.

And even if the entire world used only one CPU, it
still couldn't be distributed as a binary... it MUST
be a shell-script, precisely because there is so
much variation in platforms out there.

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich