Re: [opensuse] scrathsing old harddisks
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 11:58:47 -0700

I would love a true reference (from the last 15 years). I have spent
many hours looking into the question. The best I have seen is people
claiming they can recover a bit here and bit there from modern
drives. Not even any full bytes.

I have a NIST document that says labratory based recovery of data is
impossible for disk drives 20GB or larger if the have been
overwritten with a single pass of data. ie. Any data including all
zeros.

That's not too surprising. All the new high-capacity drives use vertical
recording and exploit giant magnetoresistance for reading. Thus there's
much less magnetic energy associated with each bit recorded in these
drives.

If you could give a reference (or some rough identifying information)
for that NIST paper, I'd be interested in looking at it.

Greg

Randall Schulz