Re: [opensuse] scrathsing old harddisks
  • From: Kai Ponte <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 08:59:07 -0700
On Thursday 27 March 2008 07:48:47 am Bob Rea wrote:
U.S. government SECRET requires a low-level format.

How does one do a low level format? I got asked to do this
at work but no one would tell me how.

Typically that's at the BIOS level. You do this from there.

However, pretty much any modern drive should not be low-level formatted since
the manufacturers add crap that could be lost if you do such an item.

I haven't low-level formatted a drive since the turn of the century.

You might look at zero fill. I've used this pretty successfully, after booting
from a live CD.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=1M

Or you can shred: shred -n 2 -z -v /dev/hda1

http://linux.about.com/library/cmd/blcmdl1_shred.htm

http://www.smartcomputing.com/editorial/article.asp?article=articles%2F2006%2Fs1706%2F51s06%2F51s06.asp

And another thing. You notice all the stuff I deleted from
cruft makes me wish for people to top post so I can see
what they have to say without wading through verbal
quicksand to the bottom of the post.

That has more to do with incorrect quoting than top poasting...

--
kai
www.filesite.org || www.4thedadz.com || www.perfectreign.com

revolution is just a t-shirt away