Re: [opensuse] scrathsing old harddisks
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 07:14:28 -0400
Sam Clemens wrote:
Rikard Johnels wrote:
On Wednesday 26 March 2008 14:16, Jim Staunton wrote:
Hans defaber wrote:
What is the best (easiest) way to overwrite old harddisks with random
garbage ?
Have a look at shred - 'man shred' will explain how to use it...

Jim

If you are to toss the drive: Use a 10 mm drill .
Just make a couple of holes thru the whole case and you are done.
Fast, secure and cheep...

I've done that procedure at work where a bank left some workstations to be disposed of.
A nice 10 mm drill, redecorate the case to resemble a swiss cheese.. and presto!
Nothing is getting of THAT drive in a hurry...

If the information is extremely secret, be sure to mutilate
the surfaces of the disks. Otherwise, I can just take the
platters to the drive's manufacturer, and have them put in
side a case of another identical drive.

5 pound sledge hammer is also a useful device.
Bonus: no electricity.

Or, if you really want to make sure no one can read the data, use the drive in a Windows Home Server for a while. ;-)
http://www.networkingforpros.com/50226711/microsoft_home_server_bug_could_corrupt_files.php