Re: [opensuse] scrathsing old harddisks
  • From: Vahe Avedissian <vyav@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 19:46:29 -0700 (PDT)

----- Original Message ----
From: Rikard Johnels <rikard.j@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 7:26:47 PM
Subject: Re: [opensuse] scrathsing old harddisks

On Wednesday 26 March 2008 14:16, Jim Staunton wrote:
> Hans defaber wrote:
> > What is the best (easiest) way to overwrite old harddisks with random
> > garbage ?
>
> Have a look at shred - 'man shred' will explain how to use it...
>
> Jim

If you are to toss the drive: Use a 10 mm drill .
Just make a couple of holes thru the whole case and you are done.
Fast, secure and cheep...

I've done that procedure at work where a bank left some workstations to be
disposed of.
A nice 10 mm drill, redecorate the case to resemble a swiss cheese.. and
presto!
Nothing is getting of THAT drive in a hurry...

I prefer a more traditional approach:

a) drop it in a bucket of water (better yet add some bleach) and leave it there
for a few days
b) after the BBQ roasting is over, grill the drive directly on the charcoal
c) if in a hurry, there's no limit to the usefulness of the good old Smith &
Wesson. Good practice
opportunity too!

Vahe