Re: [opensuse] /bin/rm: Argument list too long
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 16:28:27 -0700

How can I delete these files w/o removing the folder itself?

ls -1 .thumbnails/large/* | while read f; do rm $f; done

This is as slow as the find -exec approach and vulnerable to files
with spaces and other special characters in their names.

Sigh. Allright, how about:

ls -1 .thumbnails/large/* | while read f; do rm "$f"; done

That's probably sufficient, though to be extremely nitpicky, Unix file
systems allow newlines in file names. The use of the shell's "read"
builtin cannot be made to accommodate that, while find with -print0 and
xargs with -0 handle absolutely any file name that will ever appear on
a Unix (or Linux or *BSD, etc.) system. And while people rarely create
such things, they do sometimes come into existence (perhaps most often
due to scripting errors!).

The find + xargs approach is still the best for circumstances like
this.

Not without knowing the exact circumstances - it does work very well
of course, but then so does my suggestion, given the right set of
circumstances :-)

I'm not convinced. It's longer and harder to type (personally, I
frequently mess up interactive input of shell control syntax, most
often leaving out the "do" or "then" keywords, which just makes a mess
of things).

And while I don't know how many files need to be processed before the
xargs approach significantly outstrips the iterated invocation rm
approach, it is probably not all that many.

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich

Randall Schulz