Re: [opensuse] /bin/rm: Argument list too long
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 23:37:59 +0100 (CET)

The Wednesday 2008-03-26 at 18:26 -0400, Brian K. White wrote:

Bizarrely, he's right though. The man page (at least on linux at least on suse) doesn't quite say what the point is. It says it "builds command lines from stdin" but that doesn't mean very much. It doesn't actually say the two crucial parts about:
1) up to the limit if the shell or system or the application
2) re-executing as necessary, indefinitely, until input is exhausted

It is a funny sort of a blind spot. 99.99% of people who read the page, and obviously the author too, do not notice the lack bcause we all just know what xargs is for somehow from some other source.

I did not know.

I had to use xargs recently, and I wanted one argument per command line, it was not happening, and I knew not why. I thought the default was one command per line precisely. Obviusly I was wrong, now I know, but the man page did not put me wise.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.