Re: [opensuse] 32bit Linux also limited to 3GB RAM??
  • From: Markus Koßmann <mkossmann_ml1@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 20:36:27 +0100
Am Mittwoch, 26. März 2008 schrieb Thierry de Coulon:
[...]
Today I tried a modified Mac OS X install disk (uphuck 1.3) just to see,
out of curiosity, what hardware would be identified - and the OS X
installer reported 4GB. So does the Bios, now that I looked at it.

I have not installed OS X, so it may be that part of the memory is
allocated to the GPU (although the T60p has, unfortunately, the ATI FireGL
5250 and I think it has it's own memory). I'm running the
2.6.22.17-0.1-bigsmp kernel. Should I change the kernel to use the 4GB? Or
switch to 64Bit?

Not that I really need the extra 1GB, it's just a little stupid to have
this memory sitting there unused....
The -bigsmp kernel should support up to 64GB.
However the memory must share the 32bit address space with other hardware like
PCI devices. Usually 1GB is reserved for PCI addresses and the BIOS must map
that memory to addresses > 4GB to make it available to the OS. Check if the
BIOS provides any options for mapping memory.