Re: [opensuse] /bin/rm: Argument list too long
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 20:12:43 +0100 (CET)

The Wednesday 2008-03-26 at 19:51 +0100, Istvan Gabor wrote:

I've just realized that my .thumbnails folder occupies 3.3 Gbyte
space. I wanted to empty it by:
rm .thumbnails/large/*

but got the error message:
bash: /bin/rm: Argument list too long

The file number in the folder is ~ 60 000.

Why rm is not working?

Because the argument list is too long :-)

Is this a bug?

Nop.

however, that the .thumbnails directory becomes so large, could be a bug.

How can I delete these files w/o removing the folder itself?

With some other command line, without a "*" on it. When you type "anycommand .thumbnails/large/*" the shell will expand that to something so large that it overflows the capacity for a single line.

The typical solution is a combination of find and xargs and pipes, so that the delete command gets a file at a time.

Or use midnight comander, I think it can handle it.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.