Re: [opensuse] Unstable system - culprit identified
  • From: Oddball <monkey9@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 20:14:45 +0100
Per Jessen schreef:
The saga is about to conclude.
The Gigabyte motherboard GA-MA790FX-DS5 with an AMD Phenom quad-core is
unstable under full load, period. I suspect the memory controller
setup, but Gigabyte has been unable to reproduce (under Windows).

Last week I purchased an MSI board (K9A2 CF) with slightly lower specs
(primarily AMD790X instead of -FX chipset) - yesterday I installed it
with the same components (cpu, psu, memory, disks etc.). Earlier this afternoon it completed a 24 hour burn-in run with mprime
stresstests going at full throttle - showing no problems whatsoever. Right now it's running four copies of mprime plus a Kubuntu
installation in Virtualbox, and a Firefox3 beta. (I'm browsing the net
whilst waiting for Kubuntu to make some progress).

IMO the Gigabyte board is faulty - I'll ask the dealer to take it back
tomorrow.

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich

Well, not to come behind the meal, but i exchanged a gigabyte mobo, few years ago, because it crashed random, with an AMD 64, single core.
Memory wasn't the cause.
I exchanged against asus K8, same problem, with windows that was.
SuSE 64 bit, no problem, but slow, to low on memory, only 512.
Added 1GB.
Speed was incredible after that.
Never completely trusted the board, and i finaly got rid of it, in favor of a AMD 64 Dual Core 3600+ on an elite mobo. ATX, pci e.
Like a sun from the start, no problem whatsoever.
What i want to say is, that you have done the best you could have done.
You would always be paranoid about that pc.
As i remember crashing, all work lost, or few hours gaming for nothing.
This is no fun at all.
From the start you feel better now, same as i did.
Your pc is your friend, it has to be reliable, you depend on that.

I am glad you finaly cut the nut.

--

Enjoy your time around,

Oddball (Now or never...)

Besturingssysteem: Linux 2.6.25-rc5-git2-5-default x86_64
Current user: oddball@AMD64x2-sfn1
System: openSUSE 11.0 (x86_64) Alpha3
KDE: 4.00.66 (KDE 4.0.66 >= 20080313) "release 6.1"