Re: [opensuse] scrathsing old harddisks
  • From: Adam Jimerson <vendion@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 12:58:04 -0400
On Wednesday 26 March 2008 11:00:40 am Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:
Quoting Hans defaber <hans.defaber@xxxxxxxxx>:
What is the best (easiest) way to overwrite old harddisks with random
garbage ?

To do a whole harddisk I use Deriks Boot and Nuke, and it comes in two formats
CD ISO and Floppy. The bad thing about it is that its pretty much a waste of
a CD because its not even 3 MB, also I wouldn't call it easy its not very
well documented so it will take some time to figure out what it is doing.
The good thing is it can do anything from a quick wipe, one pass writing 0s
on the whole disk (Recommended for internal use only) to a Guttman wipe, 36
passes writing 0s (Most secure wipe it can do), I also beleave that you can
customize it to wipe as many times as you want it to.

< Previous Next >