Re: [opensuse] mv and cpio have new behavior. How do I get the old back?
  • From: Boyd Lynn Gerber <gerberb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 20:59:47 -0600
On Wed, 26 Mar 2008, Anders Johansson wrote:
On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 13:28 -0600, Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
I used the timestamp as a method of telling when the files within were
created. This makes it really hard to tell what really is in the
directory. I have source code from 1996. When the timestamp changes it
makes me think I have changed something in the directory. I really have
not. It makes keeping track of things a lot hard. I did not notice the
timestamp change till I was looking for the differences between my working
directory and the orignal. I could not tell which was which when the
timestamps changed. It is making my development a lot harder.

Have you considered using an actual tool to do this for you? Something
like svn or cvs, which can tell you when things were changed and what
was changed at the click of a button, without the need for any manual
searching

It seems you are trying to make the file system be a database for you,
which was not what it was designed for. Use tools that were designed for
what you want, and you won't have to worry about little effects such as
this

I a way yes, I use both svn and cvs. Depending on the source tree. The
problem is I know exactly where each build for all the os's I use is. It
is very logical setup. I currently have 300 disks that I have to move in
and out depending on the OS. I want to instead use VMware or Virtual Box
to have 3-6 virtual machines. I support right now 8 distributions of
linux, various releases of them, UNIX and various releases. It is just
really easy to look in /home/zenez/freebsd/4.1/build/ and see the time and
to respond.

--
Boyd Gerber <gerberb@xxxxxxxxx>