Re: [opensuse] mv and cpio have new behavior. How do I get the old back?
  • From: Anders Johansson <ajh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 03:46:12 +0100
On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 20:39 -0600, Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
Thanks, that explains it. I should have used ext3 or reiser. The problem
is I had to reboot a machine with 10.2 and 500 GB drives. ext3 has been
doing it's fsck check for 3 hours. I really can not be without my
machines for many hours for the over 3 month fsck check. I have gone back
to reiser on most systems. I guess I have been lucky. I have never had a
data loss(Knock on wood) with reiser. I just do not have 2 more 1TB
drives to change the XFS to reiser. The above makes things very clear.

You're changing file systems just because the mtime gets updated?

What are you doing that makes the mtime so important? Maybe you're using
it incorrectly, and should be using something else instead?

In any case, you can set the mtime to whatever you want using touch -m,
so you can have your old timestamps back if you want

Anders