Re: [opensuse] mv and cpio have new behavior. How do I get the old back?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 21:02:32 +0100
Randall R Schulz wrote:

On Tuesday 25 March 2008 12:15, Per Jessen wrote:
Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
Both, but I am mainly using the xfs. I have a lot of small files.
The files themselves keep their times, but the directories all
change.

I don't know if that's new, but it seems reasonable for the directory
to change timestamp when the contents of the directoy changes.

It depends on what you mean by that. Modifying a file (of any sort,
including subdirectories or special files) does _not_ update the
containing directory's modification time.

Correct - I should have expressed myself more clearly. I did mean the
contents of the directory, not the contents of the contents.

Only modifying the directory itself (creating or removing directory
entries) should change its modification time. And to be clear,
creating and deleting are the _only_ directory operations. Renaming
(what "mv" does) is accomplished by making a link to the new name
followed by unlinking the original name.

That's what I was trying to say. Thanks.

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich

--
http://www.spamchek.com/ - your spam is our business.