Re: [opensuse] mv and cpio have new behavior. How do I get the old back?
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 12:50:10 -0700

I do not mind the timestamp changing on the directory the files are
moved into, but to change the timestamp on all directories of the
moved directory and below should not change. After all, all I want
is to move the directory to a different directory.

Because every directory contains a link to its parent ("..") and because
links reference their targets by their inode number, if you move a
directory across file systems, then all those ".." links have to be
recreated. In fact, moving a directory across file system requires a
recursive copy.

If you're relocating directory hierarchies in bulk across file system
boundaries, use "cp." It has the flexible "--preserve=" option that
allows you to control exactly how much of the original files' metadata
is copied along with the file's contents.

Boyd Gerber

Randall Schulz