Re: [opensuse] mv and cpio have new behavior. How do I get the old back?
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 12:47:22 -0700
On Tuesday 25 March 2008 12:15, Per Jessen wrote:
Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
Both, but I am mainly using the xfs. I have a lot of small files.
The files themselves keep their times, but the directories all
change.

I don't know if that's new, but it seems reasonable for the directory
to change timestamp when the contents of the directoy changes.

It depends on what you mean by that. Modifying a file (of any sort,
including subdirectories or special files) does _not_ update the
containing directory's modification time.

Only modifying the directory itself (creating or removing directory
entries) should change its modification time. And to be clear, creating
and deleting are the _only_ directory operations. Renaming (what "mv"
does) is accomplished by making a link to the new name followed by
unlinking the original name.

Cross-device invocations of mv require extra machinations that it
handles transparently (basically, it becomes a copy followed by
deletion of the original).

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich

Randall Schulz