Re: [opensuse]
  • From: Neil <hok.krat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 20:35:27 +0100
Something has gone amiss: this arrived directly in my inbox.

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 8:26 PM, Brett Lyon <brett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tuesday 25 March 2008 13:34:46 Neil wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 7:43 PM, Philip Dowie
>
> <philip.dowie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hello everybody,
> >
> > Back with a problem again. I bought a NW-S703F/N Sony USB mp3 player.
> > It came with an installation CD for @#!&%^* Windows. And that piece of
> > beauty do not work in a multiboot environment. Apart from Wine, is
> > there any package to access it from SuSE.
> >
> > Sony products require a special software (Sonic Stage) for converting
> > and copy media files to the device to be played -- just mounting them
> > as USB drive and copying files isn't good enough for playing.
> >
> > I want to get rid of that S/W and Windows as well. Is there a way?
> >
> > Google could not help me. Please through some light.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Bikram
> > ----------------------------
> >

> > You could begin by specifying a subject in your post. I'm sure many
> > people ignore subjectless posts; I saw it because of timing, it was right
> > at the top...
> >
> > Moving along,
> > I would say its likely that such a device uses some form of cryptography
> > in the "special software", but you could try by installing the software
> > on Windows, copying a file to the device, then copy it back via Linux,
> > and see what you can make of it. If you don't have a copy of Windows,
> > you must know someone who does, it being as much of an infestation as it
> > is....
> >
> > Windows hating aside, the better option would probably be to return the
> > device - it doesn't come with drivers for your OS, meaning you cannot use
> > it, that's usually grounds for a refund. (Assuming it wasn't clearly
> > stated to you when you purchased that it required Windows).
> >
> > Good Luck,
> >
> > Phil
>
> This is a well known problem in Sony MP3 players. The drivers will not
> work under Linux, and the files cannot be written from anything else
> than the drivers. There is a large DRM block involved (it shouldn't be
> possible to copy the music to another PC, because you could be sharing
> DRM protected files).
> Sony is (or was) busy stopping the DRM crap, so it might one day be
> possible to use the MP3 player the way you like to use it. For now I'd
> say: bring it back, demand a refund and buy a different brand (if the
> shop didn't give any trouble: buy it there). There are a lot of brands
> out there, although they probably do not have the beauty or the price
> of your new Sony gimmic
>
> Neil
>
> > --
>
> --
> There are two kinds of people:
> 1. People who start their arrays with 1.
> 1. People who start their arrays with 0.

there was a short thread on this last week, which ended with a recommendation
to try this:

http://david.dw-perspective.org.uk/Sony-NW-E00X-Walkman-On-Linux-FreeBSD-MacOSX-etc.html

i don't want to take up everybody's time, so i am just passing this along to
you but the fix above works amazingly well for me, even better than sony's
own crapware on windows: it's both faster and easier. i totally agree with
your opposition to DRM -- but i think it's best to subvert it with
technology if we can.

good luck!
brett