Re: [opensuse]
  • From: Neil <hok.krat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 18:34:46 +0100
On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 7:43 PM, Philip Dowie
<philip.dowie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello everybody,

Back with a problem again. I bought a NW-S703F/N Sony USB mp3 player.
It came with an installation CD for @#!&%^* Windows. And that piece of
beauty do not work in a multiboot environment. Apart from Wine, is
there any package to access it from SuSE.

Sony products require a special software (Sonic Stage) for converting
and copy media files to the device to be played -- just mounting them
as USB drive and copying files isn't good enough for playing.

I want to get rid of that S/W and Windows as well. Is there a way?

Google could not help me. Please through some light.

Thanks,
Bikram
----------------------------

You could begin by specifying a subject in your post. I'm sure many people
ignore subjectless posts; I saw it because of timing, it was right at the
top...

Moving along,
I would say its likely that such a device uses some form of cryptography in
the "special software", but you could try by installing the software on
Windows, copying a file to the device, then copy it back via Linux, and see
what you can make of it. If you don't have a copy of Windows, you must know
someone who does, it being as much of an infestation as it is....

Windows hating aside, the better option would probably be to return the
device - it doesn't come with drivers for your OS, meaning you cannot use it,
that's usually grounds for a refund. (Assuming it wasn't clearly stated to
you when you purchased that it required Windows).

Good Luck,

Phil

This is a well known problem in Sony MP3 players. The drivers will not
work under Linux, and the files cannot be written from anything else
than the drivers. There is a large DRM block involved (it shouldn't be
possible to copy the music to another PC, because you could be sharing
DRM protected files).
Sony is (or was) busy stopping the DRM crap, so it might one day be
possible to use the MP3 player the way you like to use it. For now I'd
say: bring it back, demand a refund and buy a different brand (if the
shop didn't give any trouble: buy it there). There are a lot of brands
out there, although they probably do not have the beauty or the price
of your new Sony gimmic

Neil

There are two kinds of people:
1. People who start their arrays with 1.
1. People who start their arrays with 0.