Re: [opensuse] Updating KDE
  • From: Will Stephenson <wstephenson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 19:38:06 +0100
On Saturday 22 March 2008 19:05:51 Joe Sloan wrote:
It would be no help if I didn't mention that you really don't want to
replace kde3 with kde4 at this early stage. You'll want to have kde3
installed until kde4 is mature enough to replace it.

Right, and our KDE packages (unlike some other distros) allow this by
parallel-installing KDE 3 and KDE 4. KDE 3 apps save their config in ~/.kde,
and KDE 4 apps in ~/.kde4 - so you can switch between versions as you feel
the need, without losing config.

The release of kde4 was somewhat overhyped, in the sense that kde4,
while full of promise, is still not quite of production quality, and has
a number of missing pieces yet.

Which we're working like blue-assed flies to fill in... Help welcomed in
identifying missing pieces and shortcomings - come to the opensuse-kde IRC
meeting this Wednesday: http://en.opensuse.org/KDE/Meetings .

I am a kde user, and keep a fairly up to date copy of kde4 on my system,
which I use once or twice a week, to marvel at its progress. By the time
Suse 11 comes out, the kde environment will likely be pretty solid.

Especially if you all help us find the regressions now using 11.0 alpha/betas
or Factory, or the KDE:KDE4:Stable repos and the kdepim-4.1-on-4.0 repo

Will

--
Will Stephenson
Desktop Engineer