Re: [opensuse] [Fwd: What is the problem - and with whom?]
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 16:43:54 +0100 (CET)

The Monday 2008-03-24 at 15:27 +0100, Peter J. P-N wrote:

Of you're right Carlos I'd even think to deny it!

However, what one does get while sticking to the official repositories?
A productive system for a coder? Well not all of us understand c/++ nor
even html and some do not want even to understand it.

I'm no coder and my system is productive ;-)

AFAIK there is a lack of e.g. *the* multimedia or current releases for
picture manipulation in the official repositories.

So when tried to install those missing programs from those unofficial
repositories one gonna recognize that packman bits gnome-stable or
videolan bits packman. Thus I don't wonder if some folks gets frustrated.

Yes, that's a problem. It has always been a problem for all linux users, and will probably continue to be so for ages, unfortunately. Legally, suse/novell can not provide those multimedia packages. Explanations here:

http://en.opensuse.org/Restricted_Formats

a solution here:

http://opensuse-community.org/Restricted_Formats

And for my part I don't see that a solution to that issue will come next
soon.

Maybe a commercial repository provided on charge basis, parallel to
packmans, gnomes, kdes, etc, would be a solution? Who knows...

I think the problem is because packman not only provides "non-restricted" versions of the needed multimedia packages, but also upgrades. Maybe they could make a repo without "upgrades" :-?

As to the gnome/kde repos, I don't know why they are necesary for multimedia. Are they?

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.