Re: [opensuse] [Fwd: What is the problem - and with whom?]
  • From: "Peter J. P-N" <nospam@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 15:27:03 +0100

Carlos E. R. schrieb:

The Monday 2008-03-24 at 14:36 +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:

*I* am supposed to *know* the incompatibilities between repos?! *I* am
supposed to know!?

Yes, in a way, you are. The situation is similar to windows: if you
install a program from any source but microsoft, microsoft will not be
responsible for what happens, either good or bad.

If you want no problems, just stick to the official repos.

Of you're right Carlos I'd even think to deny it!

However, what one does get while sticking to the official repositories?
A productive system for a coder? Well not all of us understand c/++ nor
even html and some do not want even to understand it.

AFAIK there is a lack of e.g. *the* multimedia or current releases for
picture manipulation in the official repositories.

So when tried to install those missing programs from those unofficial
repositories one gonna recognize that packman bits gnome-stable or
videolan bits packman. Thus I don't wonder if some folks gets frustrated.

And for my part I don't see that a solution to that issue will come next
soon.

Maybe a commercial repository provided on charge basis, parallel to
packmans, gnomes, kdes, etc, would be a solution? Who knows...

- --
All the best, Peter J. P-N.
aedon DESIGNS
http://www.hochzeitsbuch.info/