Re: [opensuse] [Fwd: What is the problem - and with whom?]
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 14:27:30 +0100 (CET)

The Monday 2008-03-24 at 14:36 +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:

*I* am supposed to *know* the incompatibilities between repos?! *I* am supposed to know!?

Yes, in a way, you are. The situation is similar to windows: if you install a program from any source but microsoft, microsoft will not be responsible for what happens, either good or bad.

Of course, this could be told in a big warning somewhere, but nevertheless is a fact. Zypper just installs according to your requests and the info given by the repositories you activate or deactivate. If the selection of repos you choose is incorrect, or the repos or packages they have are broken in someway, it is the fault of the repos maintainers, of your fault for not choosing the right repos.

But in no way is the fault of zypper.

You could, however, file an enhancement request for zypper to read to you a description of the repo each time you add one, and warnings if they apply.

If you want no problems, just stick to the official repos.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.